State of emergency
On March 17, Premier Doug Ford announced a state of emergency. This gives the government emergency powers for a period of 14 days. There will be an immediate closure of the below, as well as a prohibition on any gathering of 50 people or more.
- All facilities providing indoor recreational programs;
- All public libraries;
- All private schools as defined in the Education Act;
- All licensed child care centres;
- All bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery;
- All theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies
- Concert venues.
What's not closed: Grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores, public transit, office buildings, and manufacturing. Also, no new eviction orders will be made, nor existing eviction orders be enforced.