Public Health Agencies are the most accurate places to find information – and they should be the first place you look for update on COVID-19 – you can find updates from them at the following links.
DISCLAIMER: THIS INFORMATION IS ACCURATE TO 3:00PM March 17th, 2020
As you know, COVID-19 is moving very rapidly and it is my plan to keep our community updated daily.
This morning, the government declared a state of emergency in Ontario, which means that for the next 14 days the government has emergency powers that they’re using to do the following.
What is banned/closed:
- Banned gatherings of 50 or more people.
- Immediate closure of the following:
- All facilities providing indoor recreation programs;
- All public libraries;
- All private schools; (Public schools are still closed until April 6th)
- All licensed child care centres;
- All bars and restaurants – except for take out and delivery
- All theatres; and
- Concert venues.
What is NOT being shut down:
- Public transit will keep running.
- Office buildings and manufacturing
- Grocery stores, convenience stores and pharmacy’s.
- Due to the Coronavirus, the Solicitor General has announced that no new eviction orders will be issued until further notice in Ontario. In addition, eviction orders scheduled for this week are being postponed.
Travel Restrictions Introduced
- Starting March 18th, all international visitors (with the exception of Americans) will be denied entry to Canada. Permanent residents and Canadian citizens will be allowed in at this point. Everyone arriving in Canada after travelling is encouraged to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.
My Office Update
- Due to COVID-19 my Constituency Office is currently closed to the public. However, if you are in need of support you my team can still be reached at 416-656-0943 or JAndrew-CO@ndp.on.ca.
- You can also find daily updates on my website at www.jillandrewmpp.ca/coronavirus we will be updating this page daily (at 10am and 3pm) with new information as it becomes available.
Federal Government to Examine Enacting Emergency Measures Act
- The Federal government has indicated that they are looking at invoking the Emergency Measures Act
- As of this writing (3pm on March 17th), we have not yet seen what these measures will entail, I will be updating you as soon as we are aware of the specifics of those emergency measures.
If you need to leave your home please ensure to practice social distancing, make sure that you are washing your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.
We are living through trying times, but we must remain calm and persevere as a community.
We are resilient and caring – and it is our character that will help us now.