Provincial Government Releases Essential Services List
Yesterday, the government announced that all non-essential businesses are to close for a period of 14 days starting tonight (March 24th) at 11:59PM. I am urging the Provincial government to set up a hotline for businesses to double check if they fit on this list, as some of the descriptions leave room for interpretation.
If you are unsure, I would urge you always to lean towards caution.
For a full list of services deemed essential click here:
Hydro Rates Reduced
For the next 45 days all hydro will be billed at the off peak rate. This can mean a savings of up to 50% over typical peak pricing.
For the full breakdown from the Provincial government click here:
Long Term Care Facilities Given New Powers
Long term care facilities have been granted new powers to ensure that they are able to provide a full complement of care to our most vulnerable during the COVID pandemic.
These powers include:
- Redeploying staff within different locations in (or between) facilities of the health service provider;
- Changing the scheduling of work or shift assignments;
- Deferring or cancelling vacations, absences or other leaves, regardless of whether such vacations, absences or leaves are established by statute, regulation, agreement or otherwise;
- Using volunteers to perform work, including to perform bargaining unit work; and
- Providing appropriate training or education as needed to staff and volunteers to achieve the purposes of a redeployment plan.
Full details here: